Saturday, December 25, 2010

Swedish MMA and the Iranian factor

As I’ve written before I have been incorporating a lot of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) conditioning and speed training in my routine and it is paying off like no other exercise. But it’s not only my passion and admiration for MMA that is growing more and more every day, the sport itself is reportedly the single rampantly growing sport in the world at the moment. And it is particularly interesting to mention that the MMA scene in Sweden is more or less led by Iranians! From the arrangers of the biggest events (Supreme Challenge) to the websites covering the sport (Fightplay, Kimura and MMAnytt) are all charged by that leading Iranian factor.

Not to mention the many Iranian contenders such as Navid Yousefi, Hamid “Akira” Corassani (among many others) and in particular Reza “MadDog” Madadi whose currently the hottest name of the Swedish MMA and is having his UFC prospects foreseen by Bloody Elbow! As an Iranian-Swede, as well as an MMA aficionado, I’m proud of this factor. Hell, even David “The Brazilian Swede” Bielkheden is a fan of our meatiest dish! Hehe

Navid Yousefi and Reza Madadi before Reza’s victory fight …

By the way, it seems like Reza and I share a similar philosophy on performance and competition:

“Nothing and I don’t want to know anything about him. I don’t want to sound cocky or rude, people might think that of me. But that is the way it is. I don’t care who I fight, I just go in and do the thing I do best. Outside the ring I’m the most humble person you will ever know.”