Saturday, December 25, 2010

A league of your own

A while ago I had a very interesting conversation with a dear friend and colleague and we touched upon the subject of rivalry. Rivalry is a reality, whether one likes it or not. It is a constantly present and current feature in life and every profession, so for what it’s worth I thought sharing my two cents with you. The philosophy that has taken me to where I am and will take me to where I will be. I am en extremely competitive person, I think most people that have ever worked with me can vouch for that. But I doubt that any of them has ever felt that I’ve been competing with them. Even though they might have been competing with me! To me rivalry is about competition, but its mainly a race within. And every race is about focus on own potentials and progress, not your rivals. Glance by all means at the context and the contenders before the start shot, but do not assess the situation and your position. Instead you should always keep in your best shape and fully prepared, as if you are to meet the greatest challenge of your life! So once the race is on and ongoing, you will not mind what the others do. Any glance at your left or right means deviation from within and a friction in your attention, leading always to a loss of performance. You should not care about who you are up against, instead face your own expectations, your inner contender and rival. Lock your mental target in an eagle eye and give your best to beat your own best, regardless of who actually wins the race. Self-realisation is achieved by pushing your own limits because you can, not because you have to. Realising and maximising your potentials is the only, and I emphasise, the only way that you can be in a league of your own. Not by underestimating or overestimating others, but by constantly challenging and surpassing your own self!