Monday, February 08, 2010

Up where we belong

I had been waiting a long time to see this one and am glad to say that it both surprised and satisfied me. Surprised that it didn’t go exactly the way I thought it would and satisfied because I really enjoyed the way it took! I was worried that the Hollywood face of the movie would take over sooner or later, but fortunately the indie heart shone all the way through. Though soaring above the clouds it had its feet on solid ground.

One of the reasons why I enjoyed this movie was because I found Clooney’s character very familiar, its someone I can relate to particularly at this age and phase in life. By now you know my love for realistic takes on life and love and this one took it even one step further! There is a certain pre-wedding scene which delivers perhaps the best existentialistic contemplation and comparison of a life lived alone and one in companionship of another person, for your consideration.

It goes without saying the movie owes much of its credibility to the matching performance and perfect chemistry of Clooney and Farmiga (and her marvelous behind which she proudly displayed in “Running Scared” and now does a follow up to in a barely-embedded *pun intended* nude scene), but in “Up in the Air” we can also witness the blooming of the cute and petite Anna Kendrick into a credible actress!