Friday, August 21, 2009

The graceful fall

I’m glad I didn’t watch this one ‘til I was able to watch it on Blu-ray. Because every frame of this spectacular epic opus is like a painting filled with details that only viewing in high definition can do justice to!

I have always been a fan of Tarsem’s artistic signature style, a blend of symbolism and surrealism which works best in either music videos, dream scenarios or fantastic stories. While he delivered the former in REM’s “Losing My Religion” and the motion picture “The Cell” a decade ago, in “The Fall” he manages to present his vision in the latter format.

However this time around backboned by a solid story. “The Fall” will stand next to “Pan’s Labyrinth”, both in my collection and on my list of favorite films! It just has to be experienced, in all its grace and glory!

If anyone is able to make a decent cinematic adaptation of stories from Shahnameh it is without a doubt Tarsem Singh!