Wednesday, September 08, 2010

A movie made for me!

Usually I either recommend or not recommend movies in my reviews, but this time it’s different. “Against the Current” is a movie made for me! It’s as if I had written and directed a movie for myself, and myself only! It tackles many of the emotional and existentialistic questions that I have encountered and pondered in my life, either directly or indirectly. It has also a very firm but controversial moral stand point which goes against the religious and social currents (a title with both literal meaning and symbolic relevance) but I personally happen to share.

“Against the Current” is a humble indie movie with a dependent soul but an independent intelligence. It is its maker’s second movie and it has taken him eight whole years to follow up his debut! Still without much ado comes a beautiful and emotive movie which speaks through its actors, cinematography and soundtrack. As if “Garden State” had grown up! It gives Joseph Finnes a chance to redeem his professional reputation after the fiasco that was called “Flashforward“. “Against the Current” flew under the radar and will probably never make it to most homes, it will doubtfully get a Blu-ray release even. But I don’t care! It’s a movie made for me!