Monday, September 27, 2010

Better the devil you don’t know

When I was a child a concept was planted into my brain, after reading Iraj Pezeshkzad’s “Adabe Mard Beh Ze Dolate Oost Tahrir Shod”. Yes I know, some might consider it an inappropriate book for a seven year old to read, but if I hadn’t read such books I wouldn’t had turned into the devilish genius that I am today!lol And to be fair there are not many kids or even teenagers who voluntarily pick up and read a play at that age, let alone understand the satyr! So I have been an exception, confirming the rule.

But I loved (and still love) Pezeshkzad’s books, thanks to my mother’s presentation of the author of “Daayi Jaan Napoleon” and his collection of clever writings. So the concept of the devil in disguise was planted into my brain and eventually it even developed into a story which is still in the writing. When I first read about M. Night Shyamalan’s upcoming horror “Devil” months ago I was shocked and “shaakh daravordam” as we say, because the description was also about my creation! “Few strangers stuck in an elevator …one proves to be the devil in disguise”. But after having seen the trailer I realized that this movie and my story had only that part in common, all I now need to do is to relocate my strangers from an elevator to another closed claustrophobic location!lol But I look forward to watch “Devil”, since Shyamalan is one of my absolute favourite directors, and the fact that his less popular movies speak more to me than his blockbusters makes me love him even more. So, I will forgive him if he has somehow pulled a reverse inception on me!lol