Friday, October 16, 2009

Wild things that make my heart sing

I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m an aspiring children’s story writer. The aspiration comes from my love for the books from my own childhood which I still today keep and read while going on nostalgic trips, but also from my work with kids which has updated my passion for the genre, upgraded my knowledge of the craft and inspired me to create something for all of us children (of all ages). Therefor I am currently working on a couple of projects as both story writer and illustrator. As a fan of children’s story books and an aspiring writer there is simply no higher status to look up to than Maurice Sendak!

Maurice’s multi-awarded “Where the Wild Things Are” was first published back in 1963. Twelve years before I was born! However it has followed the generations through the years ever since, as the timeless story it really is. What makes Maurice’s story so grand is his metacognitive narration and subliminal messages through the images and most importantly the size and serial appearance of his images!

While the few lines of text and the artwork tell one story there is another being told between the lines, or in his case within the pages’ white borders! One is how the size of the images increase the more the child finds his freedom to explore his world of fantasy and how it reduces when the surrounding reality puts outer limits to it! Numerous academic researches and reports have been written analyzing the few but rich pages of this humble yet majestic piece of work. I can’t explain how thrilled I am that this magnum opus has been adapted into a film which will be premiered in a few weeks.

The best part is that it is directed by Spike Jonze who has according to his own directorial style put an “indie” twist to the whole thing (something you can see in the teaser poster above) which will translate the mood of the book into motion pictures. If you happen to be in touch with the child within, then by all means go and watch this beautiful story together!