Sunday, November 14, 2010

The clash of cultures or caricatures?

Just wanted to recommend you one of the funnier television series I’ve seen lately. I haven’t watched the movie “Outsourced” but I suspect this series being loosely based on it. What makes this show so charming is its humble attitude and the fact that each and every actor genuinely contributes to the fun (especially Rizwan Manji). A good cast chemistry in other words and bite-size episodes make “Outsourced” a short weekly trip to a pretend India made out of funny stereotypes. It should also be mentioned that the very same stereotypes have steered up a lot of emotions and protests here and there! Some of my Indian friends are very critical while the majority can relate to it and find it hilarious. I’m sure it would have a similar (or reverse?) outcome if it was a show about Iranians in Iran.

I personally make a difference between Hollywood’s ignorant orientalism and tongue-in-cheek exaggerations. I see no harm in a show that creates caricatures out of basically everyone, Indians as well as Americans, in a manner that is clear in its purpose. What I see harm in however, are shows that try to confirm prejudices in order to come across as serious and credible. “24″ is a perfect example! So either way, “outsourced” is worth a watch.