Friday, September 25, 2009

A sloppy kiss for sloppy second

I had been anticipating Pedro Almodóvar and Penélope Cruz’s new venture “Broken Embraces”, especially since I happened to love their previous work “Volver”! Which in my opinion delivered a more mature and balanced Almodóvar. But after having seen his latest opus I’m truly disappointed as Almodóvar has gradually gone from overwhelming to underwhelming!

“Broken Embraces” does start off rather interesting, however a dull and unengaging back-story takes it all away. This is really pale for any director, let alone Almodóvar! All the twists are such clichés and not even of the best kind! You never start to feel for the characters in the movie despite it being called “Broken Embraces” and just screams for empathy! This is in my opinion Almodóvar’s weakest yet and perhaps also an end to a professional love affair!