Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The Grand Magician of Cinema

When I was a child back in Iran, in an era where VCRs were legally banned from homes and childs were lured to turn their parents in for owning the technology, I used to watch and love a special effects documentary series on the state TV in which the so called “Jaadooye Cinema” was explored. Right there I became acquainted with the work of the STOP-MOTION animator and filmmaker Ray Harryhausen. The pioneer who long before CG (Computer Graphics) animations revolutionised the fantasy genre with his primitive yet impressive special effects!

His art and innovation impressed and inspired the un-jaded little me to such extent that I started a new creative process of sketching my own creatures and used play-dough to realise them! I remember being SO proud of the results, even though I was very fussy about details even back then! Still today when I sit and watch any of his movies I find myself more engaged and visually charmed than any other so called “cutting edge” CG production of today.

If you too are a fan of this grandmaster, a mere special effects aficionado or just find my description interesting please do get your hands on “the Art of Ray Harryhausen”, a semi-coffee table book with basically the entire career of the artist documented. And most importantly including lots of images, from early sketches to actual creations. With a foreword by Peter Jackson, Lord of the Rings director and one of Harryhausen’s many famous fans!