Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Finding an old friend

This is my dear old friend (and in a way also once my mentor) Salam, paying full attention to a debate without being aware of the scribbling me capturing his profile! hehe. This was done on the back of a script, during an evening seminar on the Middle East back in January 1996. I said my old friend, since I’ve known him a relatively long time, but also since back then he seemed old to the younger me. Even though he was about the same age that I happen to be today!lol Funny thing is that I never showed him this sketch back then, that evening I was so exhausted that as soon as the seminar ended I put away this along with everything else handed out that day in a folder that somehow got lost in time. However recently it surfaced from somewhere and when I finally showed it to him he was literally stunned and struck by all the details of resemblance that I’d manged to capture and put in this rather tiny portrait (the version above is three times bigger than the actual size)!